Monday, October 25, 2004

thoughts and musings - romanticism

I guess one could say that I'm a romantic at heart. Not a lacy, frilly-crap, Victorian type, which is what most people think of when they hear that word. I mean a real, old-fashioned, Lord Byron, Mary Shelley, or William Blake type romantic. Feeling, experiencing deep emotion, any emotion. Yes, I'm the kind of person who believes that it is better to feel anything, even pain, than to feel nothing at all.

Which explains my taste in music. I'll create playlist or custom CD that invariably tends to be on the depressing side. Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen, Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls, or Bring Me to Life by Evanescence are not the most uplifting songs in the world. They are good examples of what I listen to. That type of song is definitely not fluff, which is all too often produced.

This reminds me of a comment about a custom CD of mine along the lines of 'that selection makes you want to go ahead and shoot yourself.' So, being the smartass I am, I got a Sharpie and wrote on my newly burned CD "Just Go Ahead and Shoot Yourself" for the title.

William Blake's Melancholy from Twelve Illustrations to Milton's 'L'Allegro' and 'Il Penseroso'
Gratuitous picture, just because I can.

William Blake Archive

Selected Poetry of Lord Byron

No comments:

Twitter