Wednesday, December 22, 2004

if you don't like our weather, wait a few minutes...

It's not too bad right now in Northern Alabama. It's raining. Lots of rain, some thunderstorms. The National Weather Service is threatening us with floods. Could be worse, we could be getting tornadoes to go with everything. For those of you who aren't familiar with this region, I'm not kidding about the tornadoes. North Alabama has a second tornado season in November, with any month of the year fair game for us to have one or two spin up. We're talking big, mean, killer tornadoes, too. I'm not even going to fuss about the temperatures right now, it's a balmy 53°F (12°C) right now. The 1/8 inch of ice we're supposed to get tonight is what's going to be loads of fun. Oh, yeah. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

See, there's a reason I don't live in Indiana anymore. Mom, Dad, Eirene and family, enjoy your 18+ inches of snow. I'll see y'all Christmas morning, when it will be a brisk -1°F (-18°C). Dammit. And to our Canadian neighbors, my heart goes out to you. -13°F (-25°C) isn't any more fun.

I'll continue to sit here in Alabama and gripe about the cold whenever it approaches the freezing mark. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the past Alabama never had this second tornado season in the fall. It's sort of a new thing. But you know the gummit says there's no such thing as global warning so I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...

KW

Mira said...

I'm sure global warming has something to do with it. Also, with the better weather radars that are available to meterologists now versus 20 years ago, it's possible to see potentially tornadic storms before a tornado forms. I'm sure in the past there were many smaller tornadoes that simply went unrecorded. Since I've lived in Alabama for the past 10 years, I don't remember a time when there was only 1 tornado season.

Twitter