Tuesday, September 13, 2005

and i thought i had a trick shoulder

Ok, first, for this to make any sense, my right shoulder is very loose, always has been. I can partially dislocate it and re-locate it without any pain. Stupid human trick kind of thing, I would do it, let people feel my shoulder as I dislocated it and relocated it. I don't do it as much as when I was younger, because I'm having to face the fact I'm getting older. I dislocated it partially at the shooting range, emptying the clip of a S&W .40, since I didn't tighten my shoulder muscles enough to prevent it from dislocating about 7 shots through the clip. Such is life.

Now, I'm watching an episode of Cirque du Soleil's Solstorm series right now, and the first performer was absolutely amazing. It appeared that he could completely dislocate both shoulders, and then he was only limited in movement by the ligaments, tendons, and muscles in his shoulders. It was truly amazing to watch this guy perform. He was one of these people who can fit through a standard tennis racket. It was truly amazing to see, such extraordinary flexibility, to be able to wrap his arm around the back of his neck and reach his mouth. You try that sometime, and see how close you get. The human body never ceases to amaze me. Of course, I know it is a genetic mutation that effects the collagen in the joints, allowing such flexibility, which diminishes with age. Even knowing why he is able to do that, it was still stunning to watch.

No comments:

Twitter