Friday, April 08, 2005

solar eclipse blogging

Here are some photos from this afternoon's eclipse.


This one was a little overexposed, so you can't see the actual eclipse, but I though it looked really cool.







All photos were taken using my Kodak DX7630 digital camera, mounted on a small table-top tripod, sitting on the top of my car, sitting in my driveway. I had the camera set to ISO 100, f 4.8, and varying exposure length anywhere from 1/8 - 1/30 second. (Yes, it's a digital, but it can be set like a traditonal film camera.) I used a shade 11 welding lens as a filter, hand-held, which gives the images the green color. Yep real complicated setup. Proof that you don't need a uber-expensive, complicated setup to do eclipse photography.

Oh, what do I use for my astrophotography? Same setup, minus the filter, long exposures (about 64 seconds). That's it. So far none have made their way into Photoshop, not even for cropping.

On Flickr you can find the all the eclipse photos and night sky photos. If you don't have an account, I suggest signing up for a free one if you look at photos there often.

Twitter