Thursday, April 21, 2005

some people just don't get it

Once again, I am home with yet another infection. Inner ear infection this time. Little fever, a lot of vertigo, to the point where I won't drive myself anywhere until it's over. Occasionally while walking I have to stop and grab a counter, my husband, or whatever is handy until the wave passes. Aside from that, I feel fine; 100% of the problem is in my head. I saw Dr. F yesterday, he said it was viral, and the only thing he could do is give me some stuff to help with the nausea and make the vertigo more bearable. I have to wait it out.

Last night at 10:00 my boss called me, wanting to know if I could come in to work today. I explained what Dr. F said, and that he said I wasn't to go back to work until Monday. Then I was asked if there was any way possible I could come in, another employee was out sick, or something. I calmly explained that I won't drive because of the vertigo, and the prescriptions aren't something I can drive while taking either.

I think I'm going to have to explain an autoimmune disorder, yet again, and immunospuressive medications, yet again, to my boss. It's not that hard of a concept. I have 2 autoimmune disorders,(disorders where one's own immune system attacks the body's tissues, causing inflammation) Crohn's Disease and Ankylosing Spondylitis. To keep them under control, I take immunosupressants (medications which artifically supress the immune system to prevent immune system from attacking the tissues). The result is I am somewhat more prone to infections than the average person. I'm not making this up, I don't like being sick and having to stay home, staring at the same 4 walls. For some reason my boss doesn't seem to believe that I'm not just staying at home, partying or something.

Aaaargh! Time to pound my head into a wall for a while.

6 comments:

Brainwise said...

I'm not positive, so you'll have to check your labels. But I don't think you should be operating any heavy walls -- or skulls -- while taking such medication.

Mira said...

Yeah, probably not. I don't think I should be operating anything any heavier than the TV remote. My new Lord of the Rings game seems to be a little more difficult than it really should... :)

Anonymous said...

Does the Ankylosing Spondylitis cause you any pain?

Mira said...

Jeff -

Yeah, it does. I have back/neck pain, mostly in my low back. I receive a Remicade infusion every 8 weeks which keeps the inflammation under control - standard anti-inflammatory medications stopped working for me. It doesn't help with the permenant damage though, which causes a constant mild ache.

Willow said...

Aw, (((HUGS)) - albeit gentle ones. I'm nowhere as severe, but do have daily pain also. (Don't you love how people think you're malingering?) There are good days and bad days. And somehow we muddle through.

You're a tough cookie and I'm sorry you're having a tough to of it right now.

Keep educating that boss of yours until it sinks in!!

Mira said...

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the humor encouragement.

Goober Queen - The big problem I'm having with my boss is when she started her company 5 years ago, I was the first person she hired. My health was much better then, I wasn't on the heavy-duty immunosupressants. I was able to put in the long hours required to get a small company off the ground, including 36 straight hours on the clock to meet a deadline. I'm having to explain the spirit is willing, but the body's not able right now. Of course, I'm the world's worst at acknowleding and accepting my changing limitations.

Twitter