Wednesday, March 02, 2005

a hoosier is...

This post also appears in the Flickr discussion group Indiana. The description of the group is simply "What is a Hoosier, exactly?". For my readers who aren't familiar with the term, a Hoosier is simply someone from the state of Indiana. A Hoosier is also so much more than that. I started to think about it as a Hoosier who has lived in Alabama for the past 10 years, and this is what i came up with.


What is a Hoosier?

A Hoosier is the all places he or she has lived and visited as much as anything else. Whether it’s the open fields, rolling hills, big cities, or small farming communities, a Hoosier is tied to these familiar places. Even if a Hoosier leaves Indiana, Indiana never leaves a Hoosier.

A Hoosier is the family farm on a hot summer day where the only sounds are the hum of insects and the breeze rustling the corn in the fields. A Hoosier is the interstate into Chicago, and the taste of air around Gary. A Hoosier is Indy, and knows that all roads in that city do one of two things – they take you to the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, or they take you in a loop around it. A Hoosier is the plains of the North and the rolling hills of the South. A Hoosier is the small, rocky holler that was a childhood home, nestled among the trees. A Hoosier is the winter snow, the summer heat, the spring storm, the autumn sun. A Hoosier is a favorite, secret fishing spot. A Hoosier is the Saturday night hang-out where friends gathered. A Hoosier is the Wabash River, winding through the trees and past fields.

Love it or hate it, if you’re a Hoosier you carry a part of Indiana with you everywhere you go.

2 comments:

FireGem said...

That's amazing!!! It's amazing the stuff people realize when they stop and think about it, huh? Most of us Hoosiers don't realize how many simple pleasures there are around here. We all wish we had a huge attraction, like Disney World or something, but I think if we did, we would want to be somewhere like where we are now. Wow, I didn't realize how special Indiana is until I read your post. Thanks!

mira said...

I only realized this after having moved away from Indiana. I don't think anyone really appreciates what they have in their backyard until they leave it behind. I've lived in Alabama for the past 10 years, I love it here and consider it my home, but when I get in a really sentimental mood, I find that my mind always wanders it's way back to Indiana.

Twitter