Thursday, March 10, 2005

this crap is getting old

I'm home from work again today and tomorrow. The bronchitis I had last month is back again, and is heading toward pneumonia. The cough and crud cleared up over the weekend, then came back yesterday. So, went to see Dr. F this morning, and got told I'm not going to be doing anything until Monday. Back to blogging in my pyjamas.

Now, I try not to complain about why I get the infections, because I know it's pretty much a fact of my life, but dammit, having a compromised immune system really sucks some days. It's a necessary evil of having a autoimmune disorder. Left to it's own devices, my immune systems attacks my body's own tissues, in my case specifically the digestive system (Crohn's Disease) and my spine (Ankylosing Spondylitis). I might be in crippling pain, and not be able to eat anything, but hey, I won't get an infection either.

So I take medications that supress the immune system, or at least specific mechanisms of it. As a result, the diseases are kept in check wonderfully, the Crohn's is completely in remission, and the AS is being kept completely at bay. The down side is the higher rate of infections, mostly respiratory infections, since the air we inhale isn't sterile by a long shot. Infections are the trade-off for having the diseases at bay.

Sometimes I wonder if the trade-off is worth it. I know it is, I was reminded of that when I went 4 extra weeks between Remicade infusions and my back was killing me. It's hard not to wonder if it's all worth it when I'm having my second round of bronchitis in 3 weeks, and the pharmacy techs at Walgreens know me. Sigh. For the most part I've accepted this, the way it has to be. It's not always easy. Infections are more random, not as predictable, and make one sick more quickly. The Crohn's and AS, while far from fun, are predictable, a steady progression. At least if I take my antibiotics and rest for the next few days, I should be fine. So, time for some rest.

No comments:

Twitter