Friday, February 25, 2005

oh, come on, people!

Now, I generally try to keep The Oubliette at a PG-13 , just so it's safe for work, younger surfers, etc. I think this is going to use up my profanity ration for the next few days.

Via BoingBoing, here is the newest thing in gummy candy. That's right, gummy road kill, complete with tire treads.

roadkill gummy candy

As you can guess, animal rights groups are having fits, specifically the NJSPCA, according to the AP story BoingBoing referred to. "It sends the wrong message to children, that it's OK to harm animals" according to the NJSPCA spokesperson quoted in the article.

For fuck's sake, people! It's candy. It's for little kids, and adults who never grew up, who are fascinated with all things icky and gross. Just like gummy worms before, gummy roadkill are amusements. They're not going to make kids into little road warriors. Kids are kids. I bit the head off of my Peeps and chocolate bunnies just like every other kid, and I'm not some psycho killer. I had torture camps for cookie and candy animals that made anything in Iraq look like a Girl Scout Camp, and I'm not the next Hannibal Lecter. Let kids be kids, for God's sake.

No comments:

Twitter