Friday, May 27, 2005

unexpected encounters

While I was out wandering through the cemeteries of Madison County last Sunday, I made a couple of unexpected discoveries in Fowlkl's Cemetery.


A Red-Tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis - was circling nearby when we arrived at the cemetery


A toad that Tom nearly stepped on. The good ol' American Toad - Bufo americanus


There is no toad here, only a rock. I am a rock. Pay me no mind. Obviously this toad is extremely upset at being touched.


A different toad, our first theory was that she is a momma toad that had a baby nearby. The baby didn't know the "I am a rock" trick yet, so it hopped off.


But we found the baby toad.

After doing a little research on the web, I'm having seconds thoughts about the momma/baby theory. The female lays about 20,000 eggs, so that's a lot of babies. Spring is the mating season for the American Toad, so what probably happened was we interrupted a romantic moment between the female and the much smaller male.

No comments:

Twitter